It can measure how effectively air can be moved in and out of the lungs. Spirometry is used as an aid to diagnose asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and other conditions that affect breathing.
Why do we perform spirometry?
To aid diagnosis:
- Checking for reversibility post-bronchodilator
- Differential diagnosis between asthma and COPD
To assess and/or monitor:
- Respiratory symptoms such as cough or shortness of breath
- Disease severity
- If a medicine is working
- Intervention outcomes e.g. pre- and post- pulmonary rehabilitation
- Occupational health impacts